Monday 17 December 2018

3 Facts about Aotearoa


Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Activity 1


   1   The land of New Zealand is where the Maori people first lived. The Maori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa witch means the long white cloud.



   There are amazing legends about Aotearoa and a demigod called Maui. 2 Legends about Maui are about how he slowed the sun and how Maui fished up Aotearoa. Maui had a lot of brothers.



The Maori people have lots of black maori patterns on their faces, arms and legs. The patterns are a tradition that they have.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Korban!
    Welcome to the SLJ. My Name is Hasiba, I am from Summer Learning Journey team. Awesome start, these are great facts. One of my favourite facts is how Aotearoa means land of the long white cloud! I love the clouds and how fluffy they look, I always pretend my bed is a cloud, this always helps me sleep better! I love that you also talked about Maui! We are very lucky to have such amazing mythology! My favourite stories are about Tāwhirimātea, he is the god of weather, including thunder and lightning, wind, clouds and storms. How awesome is that? Do you have any favourite Maori Gods?
    Keep up the great blogging
    Hasiba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Korban

    Great to see you have made a start on the Summer Learning Journey. I also love the Māui legends. Māui can be naughty and a trickster but he is also very intelligent and is great at exploring, learning and finding out about how things work. There are some good life lessons in our Māori stories. I look forward to seeing you write some more posts.

    Mere Kirihimete ki a koe me tō whanau. Merry Christmas to you and your family : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.